How to catch a Pikachu is the second episode of Pokémon Masters.
After receiving the Pokédex, Red goes back to Viridian City to challenge the gym there. For some reason, the gym leader has disappeared and closed down the gym. An old man named Jerry questions why Red wants to take on the gym with only one Pokémon. Jerry teaches Red how to catch a Pokémon and then sends Red to Viridian Forest to catch his first Pokémon.
When trying to catch some Pokémon, a wild Pikachu plays some pranks on Red and causes him to not catch a Weedle and a Caterpie in the forest. Getting upset at his results, Red tries to go after the Pikachu, but keeps getting caught in its traps. Red later gives up to catch the bug Pokémon in the area.
Jerry appears once again to tell Red he needs to weaken Pokémon to ensure a capture. Knowing this advice, Red battles more bug Pokémon and tries to catch them with this method, but fails. He then questions Jerry's method and decides to give up. Shortly afterwards, Pikachu appears once more to play pranks on Red. Immediately, Red challenges Pikachu to a battle.
Pikachu taunts the player with its speed, buti the speed is limited when Red makes Charmander use its ember to burn the Pikachu. With Pikachu being burned, Charmander weakens the Pokémon enough to catch it. Red successfully captures Pikachu and heads to Pewter city, the next city to own a gym.
- The Viridian gym is closed down.
- Red learns how to catch a Pokémon.
- Red catches his first Pokémon, Pikachu.
- Charmander is revealed to know Ember.
- Pikachu (Red's)
- Charmander (Red's)
- Pikachu (Red's; new; debut)
- Caterpie (debut)
- Metapod (debut)
- Weedle (debut)
- Kakuna (debut)
- Red's Pikachu mimics Ash's Pikachu in the first episode of the original anime and Pika in the beginning of the Pokémon Adventures manga.
- This is the first episode not to feature strong language.